Friday, February 24, 2012

Sugar Free


It’s not that I have to eat sweets every day but once I’ve decided not to eat them, it’s torture. 

A friend from college challenged her Facebook friends to give up sugar for 28 days. Not just sugar, but sweeteners – honey, maple syrup, artificial sweeteners included. We all know that added sugar is bad for us. I don’t think that’s really up for debate. You can read more about it here.

My point is not that sugar is bad for me, but that I have accepted the challenge not to eat sugar (or its friends) for 28 days. I’m on Day 2. I want a cookie. Or brownie. Or a piece of bread. You wouldn’t believe the number of foods with hidden sugars. It’s even in the French onion soup in my freezer. I want to cry.
I have been living with Type II Diabetes for several years now. Gestational Diabetes with my younger son was kind of the beginning of the end. Both of my parents have Type II, as do some other relatives on the tree. My diabetes is managed through medication and insulin. The insulin was my choice. I’m a classic overachiever so I asked for insulin for better glucose control. And while I have changed many things in my daily diet, I have never simply given up sugar.

“What will I eat?” my Sweet Tooth cries! So far, fruit. Grapes, kiwi, peaches. No, they are not chocolate; therefore, I am a little crabby. I’m not starving, although I feel like it. I feel hungry. Sugar really is a drug, as my friend (and others) claims, and I am going through withdrawal. I’ve told myself I just need to make it through the weekend. My husband just hopes he and the kids make it through the weekend. I’m not saying he bet the under but…..I know he bet the under.

Suz

For more information about Diabetes please visit TheAmerican Diabetes Association.

No comments:

Post a Comment